The Library is governed by an independent eleven-member Library Commission as specified in the revised Joint Powers Agreement. The city councils of Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Sonoma, and Windsor, along with the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, each appoint a Library Commissioner. The City of Santa Rosa and the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors also jointly appoint one Library Commissioner.
The Commission has Bylaws. The Commission generally meets monthly, with additional special meetings as needed.
Library Commissioners: (Terms expire August 1 of the year indicated)
- City of Cotati - Hilary C. Smith (2016)
- City of Cloverdale - Reece Foxen (2016)
- City of Healdsburg - Paul Grill (2018)
- City of Petaluma - Tim May (2018)
- City of Rohnert Park - Barbara Mackenzie (2018)
- City of Santa Rosa - David Ebright (2018)
- City of Sebastopol - Helena Whistler (2018)
- City of Sonoma - Joanne Sanders (2016)
- Town of Windsor - Randall Neff (2016)
- Sonoma County Board of Supervisors - Paul Heavenridge (2016)
- Joint City of Santa Rosa/Board of Supervisors - Linda Garcia (2018)