Sonoma Library Advisory Board Meeting

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 4:00pm to 5:00pm

Type of Event:

Event Address:
755 West Napa Street
Sonoma, CA 95476

  Sonoma County Library

SONOMAVALLEYLIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD

& FRIENDS OFSONOMAVALLEYLIBRARY BOARD

Regular Joint Meeting Minutes

Thursday August 14, 2014

4:00

SonomaValleyRegional Library, Forum Room

           755 West Napa StreetSonoma,CA95476

 

  1. 1.      CALL TO ORDER at 4:06

1.1.   Present: David Cook, Brett Lear, Joanne Sanders, Janice Chadwin, Robyn Makaruk, David Dobbins, Bob Pincus, Janice Stites,  Lorna Sheridan, Bethany Wilson (absent: Laurell Meredith, Jackie Stubbs)

 

  1. 2.      APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE JULY 2014 MEETING. Janice Chadwin moved to approved, Janice Stites seconded.  Passed.

 

  1. 3.      PUBLIC APPEARANCES OR LETTERS

An opportunity for members of the public to address the Library Advisory & Friends’ Boards; times are limited at the Chair’s discretion.

 

  1. 4.      DISCUSSION ITEMS

4.1 Lorna Sheridan to discuss the library activities and the schools

Asked for a contributor for the “left hand column” (500-600 words) on the Index-Tribunes weekly page on education.  Contributors can be LAB, staff, admin.

Her article: bits of news that are of interest of students and parents. Please submit items of interest to her!

She is attending the education writers conference soon TX

She suggest having a photo with kids at the new picnic tables – she’ll work with staff on that.

Will mention coffee service, new director

All Student-focused information!

Would love photos of student-centered activities (ex. El Verano Summer Reading Institute)

Would also most popular Juvenile and Young Adult titles

Her deadline is Thursday nights.

Can sometimes get a photograph.  She is usually takes the photo.

Upshot: Keep her in the loop!

 

4.2 Robyn to call for vote to approve the change in the wording for adding a youth member to the LAB.

      Changes read aloud by Robyn Makaruk.  Motion to approve by Janice Stites. Seconded by  Janice Chadwin. Passed

      Appointment to start as soon as possible.

      Robyn will work on updating the by-laws with Rebecca after the minutes are posted.

 

  1. 5.      REPORTS

Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as relevant City Council activities. All items are for discussion only.

5.1.   Commissioner’s Report  - Joanne Sanders, Welcome!  

Thanked the Friends and others at the Council meeting supporting her on taking this position.  Acknowledged the “wi-fi” outdoor picnic tables.   Mentioned the Classical Reflections book club. Kudos to the Friends!  Has attended 3 commission meetings in one week! RE: sales tax measure.  The Board of Supervisors agreed and voted to put a measure on the ballot.  Sonoma County Library Improvement Act.  County will pay for the election.  This measure will generate $8 million.  Current budget is $15 million.  Cover operations, enhance hours, improve facilities.  Caveat:  fine print – fine print required that the Assembly raise the cap for the amount that sales tax can be.  Individuals can write letters. Some examples are floating around.  Lisa will try to get one to share with LAB.  This is a new library commission.  Eleven members with 7 new people!  New director, New CFO, New JPA agreement.  By laws need to be written, committees need to be created, a lot of ground work need to be put into place.  Change will be a bit slow going. Learning curve for admin leadership.  Her goal is to get the library to be open more hours.  Robyn offered:  what the Friends and the LAB can work together on?  Joanne:  Marketing!  The library has to get out there.  Friends can help with that.  Word of mouth, for starters.  What else? Robyn mentioned the Friends new website and Lorna’s discussion of opportunities in the newspaper.

5.2.   Library Director’s Report: Brett Lear.  New JPA in effect at the end of July.  Sales tax cap lift has excellent chance of passing. Chesboro’s sponsoring.  If Measure M is passed, and if cap is lifted now, the money would start coming in within 100 days. Encouraged members to travel to the other branches to see the state of their buildings. Opening on Mondays, without extra revenue, would be close to impossible.  In most libraries, programing and furnishings are operational expenses, here the Friends are paying for this. Dos and Don’ts apply to library staff, LABs and Commission. He is starting to establish relationships with the County and the Cities that don’t seem to be there. Goal: get a strategic plan with a citizens committee to determine priorities. Encourages members of this group to get involved with this process!  New catalog coming soon!  Much improved. Marla asked if the FOL could have a table at the Farmer’s Market – Brett asked her to e-mail her plan to him and he’ll run it by the library’s lawyer.  Bethany offered to get a sign. Looked at the Articles of Incorporation for FOL – they do allow for advocacy.

5.3.   Branch Manager’s Report. Gave letter about crosswalk to David Cook. Announced new furniture arrival and funding of programming for the next 12 months.

5.4.   Friends’ Report – Bob Pincus.  Would like to bond more closely with the LAB.  Working together we have more influence.  In particular working with the passage of Measure M and Amigos de la Biblioteca. Joanne encouraged the FOL to connect with Citizens for Sonoma County Library. A campaign manager has been hired.

5.5.   City Council Liaison Report: JPA is a breath of fresh air.  Traffic safety – he’s working with public works with regard to the crosswalk. Next year the state will do a lot of work on Hwy 12.  Might need to ask the FOL to help grease the wheels!  

 

  1. 6.      OTHER ITEMS

An opportunity for Members to present brief factual information, respond to public comments, place items on the next agenda, or request information from the Library Commissioner, Director or Branch Manager.

 

  1. 7.       Adjourned at 5:15

 

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday, Sept 11, 2014, 4:00 P.M.,

Library, Forum Room

The Sonoma Library Advisory Board meets on the 2nd Thursday of every month, unless otherwise noted. Meetings begin at 4 p.m. at the Sonoma Valley Regional Library in the Forum Room: 755 West Napa Street Sonoma, CA 95476

 

Sonoma County Library

SONOMA VALLEY LIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD

& FRIENDS OF SONOMA VALLEY LIBRARY BOARD

Regular Joint Meeting Agenda

Thursday August 14, 2014

4:00

Sonoma Valley Regional Library, Forum Room

            755 West Napa Street Sonoma, CA 95476

 

  1. 1.      CALL TO ORDER

 

  1. 2.      APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE JULY 2014 MEETING.

 

  1. 3.      PUBLIC APPEARANCES OR LETTERS

An opportunity for members of the public to address the Library Advisory & Friends’ Boards; times are limited at the Chair’s discretion.

 

  1. 4.      DISCUSSION ITEMS

4.1 Lorna Sheridan to discuss the library activities and the schools

4.2 Robyn to call for vote to approve the change in the wording for adding a youth member to the LAB.

 

  1. 5.      REPORTS

Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as relevant City Council activities. All items are for discussion only.

5.1.    Commissioner’s Report

5.2.    Library Director’s Report

5.3.    Branch Manager’s Report

5.4.    Friends’ Report

5.5.    City Council Liaison Report

 

  1. 6.      OTHER ITEMS

An opportunity for Members to present brief factual information, respond to public comments, place items on the next agenda, or request information from the Library Commissioner, Director or Branch Manager.

 

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday, Sept 11, 2014, 4:00 P.M.,

Library, Forum Room

Audience:

Share this on: