Sonoma Library Advisory Board Meeting

Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 4:00pm to 5:00pm

Type of Event:

Event Address:
755 West Napa Street
Sonoma, CA 95476

The Sonoma Library Advisory Board meets on the 2nd Thursday of every month, unless otherwise noted. Meetings begin at 4 p.m. at the Sonoma Valley Regional Library in the Forum Room: 755 West Napa Street Sonoma, CA 95476

SonomaCountyLibrary

SONOMAVALLEYLIBRARY ADVISORY BOARD

& FRIENDS OFSONOMAVALLEYLIBRARY BOARD

Regular Joint Meeting Minutes

Thursday September 11, 2014, 4:00

SonomaValleyRegional Library, Forum Room

           755 West Napa StreetSonoma,CA95476

 

  1. 1.      CALL TO ORDER 4:10

1.1.   Present:  Jackie Stubbs, Janice Chadwin, JoAnne Sanders, David Dodd, Brett Lear, Robyn Makaruk, Lisa Musgrove, Bob Pincus ,  Diana Barclay

 

  1. 2.      APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AUGUST 14, 2014 MEETING. Move to approve: Quorum not met.

 

  1. 3.      PUBLIC APPEARANCES OR LETTERS

An opportunity for members of the public to address the Library Advisory & Friends’ Boards; times are limited at the Chair’s discretion.

 

  1. 4.      DISCUSSION ITEMS

4.1.    From Bethany:  What would the LAB like to do with the $500, and what are the stipulations surrounding its expenditure.  See supporting documents.  No Discussion, Bethany not present.

4.2.   LAB Conclave. September 20 in Santa Rosa.   Janice Chadwin and Robyn Makaruk will attend. Agenda passed around.  JoAnne will attend. Brett is key note speaker.

4.3.   Updated contact sheet passed around. Let Robyn know if you haven’t received it and Robyn will get you one.

4.4.   Formal change in the by-laws to included youth member will need August minutes approved.

 

  1. 5.      REPORTS

Reports and updates on library governance, management, programs, services and support group activities as well as relevant City Council activities. All items are for discussion only.

 

5.1.   Commissioner’s Report:  JoAnne Sanders – Report on the new catalog.  Very impressed the new system.  Liked how it is all on one webpage. “Fantastic” new website. Need to continue to marketing.  Asked Brett for permission to have Mike Dawe to present to the City Council!  Marketing the virtual library!  On the agenda either October 20 or November 3 (Mondays).  “Sizzle points”.  She will get the confirmed date to the FOL and LAB as soon as it’s official. Solicited suggestions. Robyn offered to announce on the FOL website and Dave offered to distribute out on the Friends e-mail list. Jackie suggested that Mike demonstrate the renewal of books from your website.

 

5.2.   Library Director’s Report: Measure M keeping us busy.  Brett travelled and spoke with all staff with regard to Measure M to educate them on what it will do and what they legally can and cannot do.  Currently working on how the money would be spent in detail, based on the expenditure plan.  Starting the strategic planning process.  Looking for a facilitator.  Hope to include citizen teams in the process. Robyn suggested to keep it simple and useable. Her experience showed complex products are useless – ask for a final product from facilitators! Brett hopes to have staff craft the final plan. New catalog: www.find.sononmalibrary.org.  Sales tax cap raise did not pass this legislative session. Will probably get passed in the next session.  Will result in a delay of getting the money if Measure M passes.  David Dodd reported: We will begin to “float” more of the collection (adult, YA, Juvie Books on CD and Large Type books).  New database RefUSA: business/demographic information.  Next thing looking at is language learning. JoAnne suggest contacting Sonoma Valley Economic Development, Laurie Decker, to reach out to business members to get trained by RefUSA. Also suggested getting the library on the agenda for the annual State of the Valley breakfast in January (David Cook will speak as mayor), esp to introduce RefUSA database!

 

5.3.   Branch Manager’s Report : nothing to report  (it’s all good)

 

5.4.   Friends’ Report: Discussed donated to support Measure M.  A conference call with presidents of the Friends to discuss how it could be raised.  Looking for new volunteers.  Need a database manager! Made $14K at the book sale.

 

 

5.5.   City Council Liaison Report: not present (harvesting grapes)

 

  1. 6.      OTHER ITEMS

An opportunity for Members to present brief factual information, respond to public comments, place items on the next agenda, or request information from the Library Commissioner, Director or Branch Manager.

 

Adjourned at 5:00.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday, October  9, 2014, 4:00 P.M.,

Library, Forum Room

Audience:

Share this on: