The Sebastopol Regional Library has its roots in the first parcel map of Sebastopol drafted in 1871. The first modern use of the land was a schoolhouse. It later became Lincoln Hall and was used as a meeting place, city hall, and a community center. In 1916, through a Carnegie Grant, Sebastopol's Public Library was built, providing access to a modern library building dedicated for all to acquire the knowledge for improving themselves. As Sebastopol grew, the Carnegie building proved inadequate for library functions, and, after the 1969 earthquake, it was deemed too expensive to save. In 1974, a new library building was built on the site. The land where the current library stands has always been used for civic and educational purposes. Starting in 2011, the Library went through a major remodel, improving the shelving systems, adding more computers for public use, and incorporating the library concept of single-point-of-public-service, among other improvements.