Books at the Annex
Several thousand books on Sonoma County History, most of which have been indexed in the Sonoma County Local History index. The books can also be searched by title, author, and subject in the main Library Catalog (you may use the searchbox on the left sidebar for basic keyword searches)
Periodicals at the Annex
Nearly 150 periodicals, both about history and historic local publications. See the Library Catalog for an alphabetical list of periodicals.
Newspapers at the Annex
Sonoma County newspapers from 1857 on. See the list of newspapers on microfilm.
Sonoma County Local History Index
The Local History Index -- a database searchable by subject (places, names, events, etc.) -- is a Sonoma County local history researcher's tool of first choice. It is a detailed index to names, places, and events contained in the several thousand books in the local history collection.
Sonoma County Records
Includes deeds, mortgages, wills and probate records, assessments of property, voter registration, oaths of office, surveys, maps, corporation records, business licenses and more. Most materials are stored at the Sonoma County Archives and must be brought from the Archives to the Library for your use. Call 545-0831, ext. 1562, with any questions, or to request materials. Please allow five business days for volumes to be delivered to the library.
Obituaries at the Annex
Selected index to Sonoma County obituaries from 1855-1912. You may send us an request for a copy of an obituary. Find more information about locating and requesting obituaries.
Census at the Annex
U.S. Census for California 1850 to 1920; indexes for other states and Canada from 1790 on.
City Directories at the Annex
California city directories from 1850 on; Sonoma County Directories from 1874 on.
Materials for Researching a Sonoma County house
Include city directories, published histories, newspapers, maps
Tens of thousands of photographs of Sonoma County's rich history. Most have been digitized and may be viewed through our Sonoma Heritage Collections site as well as through our library catalog. High-quality photographic reproductions are available for all of these photographs.
- Sonoma Heritage Collections
- Ordering photo reproductions and use of images
- Connect to the library catalog to search and view photos online (use Advanced Search and limit by "Photograph")
Sonoma County Historical Societies
Many Sonoma County communities have local historical societies that can be a source of additional information
- Cloverdale Historical Society operates the Cloverdale History Center at the historic Gould-Shaw House
- Forestville Historical Society works to preserve the history of Forestville
- Healdsburg Museum & Historical Society operates the Healdsburg Museum
- Historical Society of Santa Rosa seeks to preserve Santa Rosa's history
- Petaluma Historical Society and Museum operates the Petaluma Museum, publishes a quarterly newsletter and offers docent-led walks in Petaluma
- Russian River Historical Society covers all the lower Russian River communities
- Sonoma County Historical Society works on preservation activities county-wide and publishes monographs and a quarterly journal
- Sonoma Valley Historical Society operates the Sonoma Depot Museum in Sonoma and explores Sonoma history
- West Sonoma County Historical Society operates the West County Historical Museum in Sebastopol and the Luther Burbank Gold Ridge Experiment Farm. The WSCH's photo collection is part of the the Sonoma Heritage Collections
Web Resources and Databases
See listing of Local History Web Resources
Materials for Sale -- Support the History and Genealogy Library
The Friends of the Santa Rosa Libraries have historical photo postcards and reproductions of historic maps for sale, with all proceeds supporting the Library.