The Library now offers free access to complete issues of Consumer Reports from 1985 to the current year. You will need your library card number for access from home.
Cars & Trucks
- Auto Repair Manuals
- We have auto repair manuals online including wiring diagrams. You will need your Sonoma County Library card to reach this from home. More info on Auto Repair
The Old Car Manual Project
- Manuals and brochures contributed by various people, going back before 1920; coverage is very incomplete, but unique.
Kelley Blue Book
- Get the authoritative value of your new or used vehicle for free,
from the source.
Edmunds New & Used Car Guide
The web site includes all the pertinent information found in the print
versions of these very useful guides.
- Compare fuel consumption estimates for different vehicles. From the US Department of Energy and
- This website publishes highlights of the
ACEEE Green BookTM Online, which evaluates new cars by how much they
- The annual new car report is available only by paying
a fee - but there are car buying tips on the site as well.
actual costs of owning a particular vehicle. Also offer invoice
prices and recall information.
Car and Driver Magazine
For their ratings.
Motor Trend Online
Another Buyer's Guide.
- A classified ad
site run by a consortium of newspaper companies; searchable car ads and the
inimitable Car Talk folk have their website here as well. Reviews and
An internet site for car dealers, but click on "Links" to quickly find
the major automakers' web sites.
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Safety ratings from a non-profit insurance industry
industry consultants who compile "vehicle satisfaction scores" based on
surveys of new vehicle owners.
Credit Cards & Credit Reporting
- Compare rates and terms on credit cards, loans, and mortgages.
- Credit Card comparisons from Ram Research.
Free annual credit report
- The official Annual Credit Report site authorized by the US government.
Credit & Loans:
Bureau of Consumer Protection
- From the Federal Trade Commission, information on Your Rights, the Fair Credit
Reporting Act, free credit reports, credit cards and consumer loans.
Government Consumer Information
- Consumer Action Handbook (PDF document)
- The Federal government's guide to: What to know before you buy; your rights; how to file a complaint.
- From National Consumer Protection Week, offers
categories such as Banking, Health, Identity Theft and Privacy, and Rights and Responsibilities, with links to information such as how to file a complaint with the FTC, the federal Do Not Call list,
product recalls, and staying safe online.
Household Products Health & Safety
- What's under your kitchen sink, in your garage, in your bathroom, and on the shelves in your laundry room? Learn more about what's in these products, about potential health effects, and about safety and handling. From the National Institutes of Health.
Federal Citizen Information Center / Publications USA
- From Pueblo, CO. Free publications on all sorts of
topics from health and cars to gardening and family communication.
A good searchable resource.
Contractors State License
- State of California site offers 10 tips to make sure
your contractor is fully qualified.
National Highway Traffic Safety
- Provides safety ratings for cars and light trucks
based on tests conducted by this federal agency.
More federal government agencies & offices
on our Government Information page
General Consumer Sites
- Better Business Bureau
- You can read BBB alerts, file a complaint online, get in touch with your
local BBB, and access many online consumer publications through the
- A large comprehensive site with links to many different areas of
product price comparison, analysis, and buying. Sponsored by Verizon.
Home & Apartment Listings
- Craig's List - Housing in North Bay
- Apartments, houses, share rentals, and other housing listings on the North Bay
section of this well-known community bulletin board.
- Includes Multiple Listing Service homes and land for sale in Northern California. From
Bay Area Real Estate Information Services.
- Millions of home and apartment
listings from the National Association of Realtors.
Online listings of millions of homes for sale and apartments for rent.
Product & Price Comparison
A Washington, D.C.-based non-profit that compares and evaluates products and
services for consumers, and has well-developed pages on the San Francisco
- The web version of the magazine includes some ratings in each of the
Feature articles compare products in the categories of: Automotive, Home
Improvement, Technology, Science, The Outdoors, and a New Car Buyer's
Guide. Also has helpful permanent features like "Computer
Various buying clubs.