Online Books, Newspapers, Magazines & Radio
- Same day full
text of the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times,
The Press Democrat, and many other regional and national
Local Sonoma County Newspapers and
- List of Sonoma County Newspapers: Press Democrat,
- Breaking news from the international news agency.
California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Search, browse, and view scanned images of old and recent newspapers
from around California. Includes the Marin Journal (San Rafael, 1861-1920) and several
San Francisco papers.
Historic American Newspapers
- Full page images of California and other newspapers from the 1800s and early 1900s. From the digital newspaper program of the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Zona Latina - Periódicos Y Revistas en Español
Magazines, newspapers and wire services from Argentina, Boliva,
Central America, Chile, Columbia, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico,
Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
San Francisco Chronicle
- The Gate: online version ofthe Chronicle, with most of the print version's stories
and a searchable archive.
- Includes current news and a searchable archive going back
- Online articles and downloadable PDFs of the front pages of print editions.
Searchable archive back to 1985.
comprehensive listing of online newspapers around the world, as well as
links to trade and industry journals.
New York Times
- Web Version of
the New York Times. Now including a free searchable archive back to 1851.
- Search the Library's online collection of thousands of magazine and journal titles. Many have full text of the articles to read on your computer.
website offers excerpts from the print magazine on timely topics.
- Articles from peer-reviewed journals in biological, medical, physical, and
social sciences. Many full-text articles are available free, especially older
- The Los Alamos National Laboratory has one of
the most comprehensive lists of online journals anywhere.
Although access to some of these titles is restricted, many more are freely
available. The focus is on the hard sciences, engineering, computer
science, agriculture, library and information science, international affairs,
social science and medicine.
- National Geographic Society's website includes current and past
articles from the society's magazines, maps, question-and-answer and
send-a-postcard features, and more.
- Reviews of
PC and Internet products and software, news, downloadable software, and
the annual Top 100 Web Sites.
Excerpts from this influential weekly magazine.
website includes selected articles and an Ask the Experts feature.
- The website features
most of the print version's content plus multimedia and chat.
- Technology and culture.
- Community - highlighting
local authors and their works
- An online library of digital books for people with print disabilities: Free membership for most U.S. students with a disability that makes it difficult or impossible to read a printed book. Others with print disabilities pay an initial $75 for membership.
Book reproductions on the web: you can turn the pages on the screen
Text of books on the web
- The American Verse
- From the Humanities Text Initiative at Michigan,
this project is digitizing American poetry published in books and
periodicals before 1920. You can search in a number of different
- A compilation of eclectic titles in Anglo-American literature, with
attention paid to accuracy, edition, & usefulness. These are not
just "classics" but other important or useful texts as well, such as
Fowler's English usage, with some interesting exceptions.
- From Carnegie Mellon University, a special exhibit
of books that have been the objects of censorship or censorship attempts,
from Ulysses to Little Red Riding Hood.
Carrie, A Full-text Electronic Library
assortment of texts from many other sites, in plain text or
marked up in HTML. Links to collections in several other languages.
A Celebration of Women Writers
- Also from CMU and the On-Line
Books people. An uneven but
useful directory to biographies, criticism, and hard to find texts.
A Corpus of
Middle English Prose and Verse
- The original large text
database in this country, from Michigan.
The Electronic Text
- At the University of Virginia. Source for etexts,
multimedia databases and lists of other resources.
The English Server
- At CMU is
the definitive starting point for finding materials in or about English
literature and language, and everything that can affect them.
- This link takes you to the long list of texts and
text collections that Michigan has made accessible with their great
interface and extensive markup of the texts. Good resource for various
versions of the Bible, classic English literature, Medieval literature,
Old English materials.
Reading Room: Online Texts
- From the Internet Public Library. More than 4,500 titles that
can be browsed by author, title, or Dewey Subject Classification.
Master Works of
- A hypertext-annotated compilation of lists of major works
recommended by Drs. Adler and Eliot, Charles Van Doren, Anthony Burgess,
Clifton Fadiman, the Easton Press, and many others.
From Carnegie Mellon will search for e-texts for you. A good starting
point for locating electronic texts in many languages.
Oxford Text Archive
original and largest text archive in English, this archive contains files
of many different kinds of works in various formats, including ascii and
Works of William Shakespeare
- In HTML format from MIT. The format
is very readable, but be careful of the glossary links which were
computer-generated and contain errors. Based on the Complete
The Victorian Women
- From the University of Indiana.
The Voice of the
- A comprehensive website for the Humanities, the VOTS
English page is a great resource for tracking down texts and all related
materials for any period in literature.
All of these sites have programs you can listen to over the Internet.
See also the Community Web Links for some of the local radio stations in Sonoma
- The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's news and other programs.
- BBC World Service and local BBC programming.
- Links to news
clips and audio files of their other programs.
Other Online Media
- From My Virtual Reference Desk - lots of audio and video online.