Sonoma County Wine Library
Some Great Wine Links
Wine Libraries and Wine-Book-Related Sites
- Viticulture and Enology
Collection, Shields Library, UC Davis
- Shields Library, University of California, Davis is home to one of the finest
collections of grape growing and wine making literature in the world. Their web page
includes a description of the collection, some links to other wine sites of interest and
- The V. E. Petrucci
- The Vincent E. Petrucci Library collects historical and contemporary books, periodicals, and journals on the subjects of viticulture and
enology, supporting the programs of the Viticulture and Enology Research Center (VERC) and the Department of Viticulture and Enology at
Fresno State University.
- Winetitles is an Australian firm which publishes several industry journals on Australian and New Zealand wine and sells a wide variety of books related to viticulture, winemaking and wine appreciation.
- The Napa Valley Wine Library
- In 1961 in St. Helena, a small group of dedicated people addressed the need to preserve
the area's rich wine history and collect books relating to wine. The Association they
formed has an arrangement with the Saint Helena
Public Library. Their library now houses a
collection of 3,500 books and subscriptions to 50 periodicals.
- Cal Poly Pomona Wine and Wine Industry
- A collection of the Cal Poly Pomona University Library dedicated to preserving the heritage of the historic Southern California Winemaking industry, including Mission San Gabriel,
Cucamonga Valley and other Southern California wine producing regions, past and present.
Wine Research and Study
Research & information resources
- Sonoma State University Library Agriculture and
Wine Information Sources
- An updated Library Research Guide to the Wine Industry is being developed. The focus of the guide is
the business aspect of wine production and marketing
rather than the technical topics of viticulture and wine-making.
- University of California Cooperative Extension,
- Works with commercial growers and university staff to conduct research and address local issues in
- University of California, Davis, Department of
Viticulture and Enology
- Davis' Enology and Viticulture Department's Website features cutting edge news,
information about the Department of Enology and Viticulture, its research, faculty, staff,
- Department of Viticulture and
Enology at Fresno State University
- The department offers master's, bachelor's, and certificate programs in
viticulture, enology, and related disciplines, and houses the Viticulture and Enology Research Center.
Degree programs in Sonoma County
- Sonoma State University Wine Business
- Program within the School of Business and Economics, focused exclusively on the business aspects
of the wine industry. Undergraduate and MBA degees.
- Tourism and Hospitality Studies
at Empire College
- Local program offers studies in hospitality, tourism and the wine industry. Certificate programs in
the area of Hospitality Sales and Marketing.
at Santa Rosa Junior College
- Local program offers certificates and degrees in viticultural practice and vineyard management.
Studies at Santa Rosa Junior College
- Local program offers certificates and degrees in areas of wine business, enology, and other winery
and wine industry operations. Classes also available to the general public in areas such as
Wine Business and Wine Law
- Practical Winery and Vineyard
- Practical Winery and Vineyard magazine aims to provide "essential down-to-earth, reliable
information wine industry leaders need to succeed in the vineyard, the
cellar and the tasting room."
- Vineyard and Winery Management
- Vineyard and Winery Management has been covering wine and grape growing business and technical subjects for over 20 years. The magazine has broadened its publishing outreach,
using the Internet to attract new readers and serve existing readers in new ways.
- The Wine Institute
- The Wine Institute is the public policy advocacy association of California wineries. It
brings together the resources of some 450 wineries and affiliated businesses to support l
egislative and regulatory advocacy, international market development, media relations,
scientific research, and education programs that benefit the entire California wine industry.
- Wine Business Online
- Wine Business Online contains the online versions of Wine Business Monthly and Wine
Business Insider as well as other resources.
- WineryExchange defines itself as the leading global supplier of quality private label
wine brands for global wine retailers. They also consider themselves a leader in creating and
delivering strategic information to assist wineries. They provide links to some timely news
concerning the wine business.
- Wines and Vines
- Wines and Vines has long been a leader in providing wine business and technical news.
Their web site contains much of the current issue, some back issues, links and more.
Wine Consumer and Wine Appreciation
- Jancis Robinson
- Free access to the "Learn about Wine" section and short articles and notes
from the Financial Times columnist and editor of the Oxford Companion to Wine.
Paid membership required for access to the online Oxford Companion to Wine.
Robin Garr's Wine Lovers' Page
- Many publications and experts rate The Wine Lovers' Page one of the best places on the
Internet to learn about wine.
- Run by the Beverage Testing Institute, Tastings.com provides information and tasting notes on wine,
beer, and distilled spirits. Over 30,000 tasting notes on wines are searchable by score, price range,
varietal, and producer or brand. You may subscribe to thier e-journal. The site features a directory
of retail outlets, and more.
- The Wine Spectator
- The Wine Spectator magazine has built an impressive website with much of the content of
the magazine, a searchable database of wines, and the full text of most articles in the
magazine back to 1994.
- Online wine shop features a Wine Basics section covering wine types and regions, how to serve wine, recipes, and more.
More Wonderful Wine Sites
- Able Grape search engine
- Specialized web search engine is limited to wine information. More focused than the results you will get with a general search engine like Google, Able Grape indexes web pages only—it does not include the content of databases such as the Wine Files.
- Origins and Ancient History of
- The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology has put up an
entertaining website on the pre-history and ancient history of wine.
- Sonoma County Winegrape Commission
- Formerly the Sonoma County Grape Growers Association, a non-profit organization representing the farmers and ranchers who grow the
grapes that make Sonoma County wines. Their web site offers consumer information such as descriptions of the various Sonoma County
appellations and varietals, plus industry resources for farmers and winemakers, such as pest management resources and a grape marketplace.
- California Association of Winegrape Growers
- Statewide grape news; sustainable grapegrowing projects; publications; wine and grape conferences and other events.
Main Wine Library page