A carpenter named Cyrus H. Bumpus arrived in Santa Rosa from Maine in 1868. Bumpus served as a contractor on many landmark structures including his own residence at 426 Mendocino Avenue which, when completed in 1872, was considered the first Santa Rosa structure to possess a mansard roof (Sonoma Democrat, Sept. 28, 1872, pg. 6).
According to city directories, Cyrus and his wife Dorcas, lived in this house for a few years followed by Amos W. and Elizabeth Riley. Amos Riley was a cattleman who, at the time of his death in March of 1908, had been indicted on a charge of illegally fencing in government land in Nevada (Los Angeles Herald, March 28, 1908, pg. 3).
In 1908, 436 Mendocino Avenue was converted to the Hotel Lebanon by B. C. Cosgrove (Ukiah Dispatch Democrat, Dec. 11, 1908, page 1).
The International Order of Odd Fellow No. 53 may have been the last to occupy the building. Historic maps and city directory research suggests that the house was demolished in the mid-1950s.
A great then and now photo opportunity. If the house were still standing it would be directly across the street from the Press Democrat where today a sad collection of commercial storefronts currently sits.