The Press Democrat featured an online photo gallery - Things You Will Never See Again in Sonoma Valley - a few weeks back that included images from the Sonoma County Library. One photo, described as depicting Mariano Vallejo's Casa Grande, caught the attention of Emily Walski, an interpretative specialist with Sonoma State Historic Park. Emily was under the impression that no photo of Vallejo's "Casa Grande" existed and that the Library's photo actually showed a building that is now home to the El Dorado Hotel. After a bit of research and input from Dr. Peter G. Meyerhof we've discovered that the photo in question was one of two adobes owned by Mariano's younger brother, Salvador Vallejo. According to one source, a portion of the building was occupied by the El Dorado Hotel in 1849. Between 1858 and 1864 it was the home of Cumberland Presbyterian College, and then again, the El Dorado Hotel. The north end was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, but rebuilt and is still occupied by the El Dorado Hotel. Salvador Vallejo's other adobe would later be become the Swiss Hotel.