Two collection ledgers for the Santa Rosa Water Works: 1897-1901 and 1905-1907 were donated this week to the Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library. These books will be of great use to anyone researching the history of a Santa Rosa property. Knowing when a property started receiving water service usually indicates that a building had been constructed.
According to Gaye LeBaron, Dee Blackman, Joann Mitchell and Harvey Hansen's book: Santa Rosa A Nineteenth Century Town, Santa Rosa Water Works was incorporated in March of 1873.
Mark L. McDonald purchased controlling interest in the company in 1875. This would explain why the ledgers were found in a dumpster years ago that was placed next to the grand residence of Mark and Ralphine McDonald at a time when the mansion was slated for demolition.
The woman who "retrieved" the ledgers took them with the idea that she'd eventually donate them to a research facility where they'd be used. That day came on December 3, 2015.