Dagny Juell joined the staff of the Santa Rosa Free Public Library in 1924, after working two years as a high school librarian. She was born in Minnesota in 1893 to Norwegian immigrants Niels and Petrea Juell. By 1905 Dagny had moved to Santa Rosa with her parents and brother and sister and was living on Monroe Street. Neils Juell was the proprietor of Juell’s Drug Store.
Miss Juell took charge of the newly created children’s room at Santa Rosa’s Carnegie Library in 1925. The room started with approximately 3,000 books, but quickly grew to 13,000 volumes.
In addition to her position as children’s librarian, Dagny Juell served as Assistant City Librarian and was one of the founders of the Association of Children’s Librarians in Northern California.
Dagny retired in 1959 before the Carnegie Library was demolished and died in 1964, two years before construction started on the “new” library. She is buried at Santa Rosa Memorial Park.
Three generations of Santa Rosans received books from Miss Juell and she was highly regarded among other children’s librarians throughout the state.
The children’s room at the Santa Rosa Central Library is named the Dagny Juell Library for Boys and Girls.