Local History and Genealogy Notes
Posted on October 16, 2015
Four Redwood Rangers leave Santa Rosa for the California State Horsemen's Association Convention in Stockton, October 1947. According to a Santa Rosa Press Democrat article dated October 10, 1947, the "Four Mesquiteers" left from Santa Rosa's courthouse plaza for the1,235 mile trek. Those shown on horseback in this Sonoma County Library photo are from left to right: Leo O'Connor, Jack F. Luttrell, David Grant, Jack Williams; standing left to right: Joseph Obert Pedersen, Mayor of Santa Rosa; Clfiton Elzo McCluskey, president of the Sonoma County Riding and Driving Club and regional vice-president of the California State Horsemen's Association; Warren Richardson, president of the Sonoma County Trailblazers and founder of the California Centaurs; Herbert J. Waters, editor of the Press Democrat.
This is just one of thousands of images that were recently uploaded to the Library'sSonoma County Local History & Culture.
Posted on September 19, 2015
In 1915, the greatest acreage of agricultural land in Sonoma County was devoted to prunes with 768,750 bearing acres and 300,425 nonbearing. Apples rank next with 350,500 bearing, and 264,036 nonbearing. Source: “Horticultural Commissioner Completes his Annual Report” – Santa Rosa Republican, October 1, 1915, page 8.
Posted on September 10, 2015
Carnegie Library Santa Rosa, Calif before the disaster of April 1908 donated by Kay Voliva. May be the centerpiece in a future Library exhibit.
Posted on December 18, 2014
The recent storms that took Foss Creek through downtown Healdsburg and put the Russian River just above flood stage at Guerneville were nothing to sneeze at for anyone living or working in low-lying areas, but...for anyone who's lived in Sonoma County for a while, floods have always been a recurring adventure. And while not a major theme in the Library's collection, we do have a good sampling that show the effects of our big storms.
We've typically experienced major flooding every ten to 15 years (though sometimes more often), with really big ones roughly every twenty years, including the 1986 flood on the Russian River that crested at 48.7 feet in Guerneville.
|Record flood at Guerneville, 1986 (SCL photo # 7741)|
60 years earlier, Petaluma was inundated.
|California Garage at 10 Washington Street in Petaluma under floodwaters, 1912 (SCL photo # 13693)|
Floods during the late 1930s and early 1940s affected towns up and down the Russian River watershed, leaving piles of debris everywhere once the water receded.
|Debris piled against Hacienda Bridge near Forestville, 1937 (SCL photo # 16409)|
|Flood damage at Riverview Lodge, Guerneville, California, 1940 (SCL photo # 16415)|
In the flood of 1955, an airlift was necessary to get stranded Guerneville residents out to drier land.
|Helicopter in the Safeway parking lot to air lift people during a flood, Guerneville, California, 1955 (SCL photo # 20164)|
The 1964 flood wreaked havoc throughout Northern California, hitting the Eel River watershed particularly hard, but doing a lot of damage in Sonoma County as well. This flood, following the 1955 flood, was one of the main factors behind the push for flood control efforts throughout the county, including Warm Springs Dam (Lake Sonoma).
|Flood waters surround the Barlow Company buildings on McKinley Street, Sebastopol, 1964 (SCL photo # 3078)|
Despite flood control, the 1986 flood was nearly as bad as the 1964 floods. Even Spring Lake filled higher than ever before.
|Flood at Spring Lake, 1986 (SCL photo # 3936)|
If you have good photos from this year's Healdsburg flood and would like to contribute them to the Library's collection, please let us know!
Posted on October 30, 2014
Santa Rosa's library history includes several short-lived libraries between 1859 and formation of the Santa Rosa Library Association in 1875. An 1878 offer of this library to the city under the Rogers Act was declined; it was 1884 before the combined efforts of women's organizations and the newspaper editor succeeded in the city taking over the library and providing space in City Hall. In 1890 Santa Rosa hired the county's first professional librarian, Bertha Kumli, who guided the Carnegie project through from the application for $35,000 and acceptance of the offered $20,000 in March, 1902. Community leaders purchased a lot and Sacramento architect E. M. Hoen designed the building in the Romanesque style. The builder was William Peacock of San Francisco. The cornerstone was laid on April 14, 1903 and the building opened on March 10, 1904. Miss Kumli next joined the State Library and achieved a statewide reputation for her work for the county library system and in helping small communities establish public libraries. The Carnegie building was extensively damaged in the 1906 earthquake, and Carnegie provided $6,900 in additional funding for repairs. The building then served as library until 1960 when it was condemned as unsafe. The books were moved to temporary quarters, the old building was demolished in 1964. A new library on the same site was completed in 1967.
|The new library before landscaping, 1903/04 (SCL photo 1847)|
The new Santa Rosa Public Library on Fourth Street at E Street -- the same location as the current Central Santa Rosa Library -- opened to great fanfare in 1904...
|Fourth Street entrance after the 1906 earthquake (SCL photo 4792)|
...and Just two years later, crumbled in the great 1906 earthquake
|Cat in the Hat Reading Club awards, 1959 (SCL photo 5273)|
The rebuilt library served the citizens, including the children, of Santa Rosa well for many years. Toward the end, Children's Librarian Dagney Jewell and her staff could barely squeeze their young patrons into the children's room.
|Entrance to the Santa Free Public Library on 4th Street, 1959 (SCL photo 3826)|
From the outside, the library still looked magnificent...
|Interior of the crumbling library, 1960 (SCL photo 5168)|
...but on the inside, deferred maintenance had taken its toll and in 1960, the building was condemned.
|Patrons at work tables in the library on Exchange Avenue (SCL photo 5251)|
The library moved to (very tight) temporary quarters in rented second floor space opposite Courthouse Square on Exchange Street and a successful campaign was launched to build a new--and larger--public library for Santa Rosa (see the video at the top of this post).
|The last remaining wall, 1964 (SCL photo 4983)|
Meanwhile the old Carnegie library was reduced to rubble for the last time and the site prepared for the new library that serves Santa Rosa and Sonoma County to this day.
Check out many more images of Santa Rosa's library history in the Sonoma County Local History & Culture.