El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), commonly known as Día, is a celebration every day of children, families, and reading that culminates yearly on April 30. The celebration emphasizes the importance of literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
Día is a nationally recognized initiative that emphasizes the importance of literacy for all children from all backgrounds. It is a daily commitment to linking children and their families to diverse books, languages and cultures. The common goals of all Día programming are to:
- Celebrate children and connect them to the world of learning through books, stories and libraries.
- Nurture cognitive and literacy development in ways that honor and embrace a child’s home language and culture.
- Introduce families to community resources that provide opportunities for learning through multiple literacies.
- Recognize and respect culture, heritage and language as powerful tools for strengthening families and communities.
The Sonoma County Library is hosting a range of events in honor of Día this year -- there are events in the libraries, and we are also partnering with organizations out in the community to provide entertaining and educating events for children. Come celebrate the diversity of our communites and our children with us!
Events for Children
StoryWalk at the Sebastopol Library
Get outside and read! Stop by the Sebastopol Regional Library, where they are hosting a StoryWalk (featuring Maya Christina Gonzalez's book "Call Me Tree/ Llamame Arbol") in the garden along High Street for families to enjoy together.
- Sebastopol Library Monday, April 22- Saturday, May 4
El día de los niños (Children's Day) Celebration!
Head to the Windsor Town Green for an afternoon of fun for families, including the Children's Museum of Sonoma County, the Town of Windsor Mobile Rec games on the Green, face painting, book giveaways, light refreshments, and community resource information. For all ages! Free!
- Windsor Library Saturday, April 27, 2019, Noon to 2 pm
Explore books, songs, rhymes and play in English and Spanish! Libros, canciones, rimas y actividades en ingles y espanol. For children 0-5. Para edades 0-5
- Rohnert Park-Cotati Library Wednesday, April 24, 6:30 pm
- Rincon Valley Library Thursday, April 25, 10:30 am
- Roseland Community Library Saturday, April 27, 10:15 am
- Cloverdale Library Tuesday, April 30, 11:30 am
- Roseland Community Library Tuesday, April 30, 11:30 am