Join us for a special opportunity to meet acclaimed children's author and illustrator Anastasia Higginbotham.
Higginbotham's presents Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness. It’s the fourth and latest book in her Ordinary Terrible Things series, which takes a child-centered approach to focus on the importance of resiliency and coping in the face of adversity. In the book a white child sees TV coverage of a police shooting — and has some questions. Not My Idea invites families to acknowledge the ways white children are conditioned to feel apart from conversations about race.
In the workshops, Higginbotham will present her latest book, and will lead a collage activity focused on identifying and processing emotional experiences.
These author visits will take place at the following dates and locations:
- Healdsburg Library Monday, October 1, at 10:00 am (grades K-6)
- Northwest Library Monday, October 1, at 4:00 pm (grades K-6)
- Central Library in Santa Rosa Monday, October 1, 2018 at 7:00 pm (this event is targeted for adults)
- Sonoma Valley Library Tuesday, October 2, at 11:00 am (grades K-6)
- Sebastopol Library Tuesday, October 2 at 3:30 pm (grades K-6)
Higginbotham is the author and illustrator of Divorce is the Worst, Death is Stupid and Tell Me About Sex, Grandma — all part of the critically-acclaimed Ordinary Terrible Things series. She lives in Brooklyn.
This author series is made possible with support from Measure Y. Thank you, Sonoma County voters!