The month of June celebrates a rainbow of diversity and commemorates LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning and others) progress through LGBTQ+ Pride Month, GLBT Book Month and more. The Sonoma County Library honors and celebrates the LGBTQ+ community through collections, events, programs and hiring, and recently hosted a table at the Sonoma County Pride festival in Santa Rosa on June 1.
“Sonoma County Library is committed to social equity and free access to information,” said Sonoma County Library Director Ann Hammond. “We are here to serve everyone, inclusive of ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, country of origin, age, faith and socio-economic status.”
While at the Sonoma County Pride Festival on June 1, library staff shared information about the Summer Reading Program and supplied handouts on how to sign up for a library card. The library also offered LGBTQ+ book lists for all ages and gave visitors the chance to spin a prize wheel. Education Initiatives Librarian Rachel Icaza was one of the library employees at the table.
“It was perfect to have the library present at this wonderful family-friendly event,” Icaza said. “People were lining up to spin the prize wheel and to hear all about summer fun at the library. It was a great day!”
Sonoma County Library offers a monthly Pride Book Club for Teens, list of LGBTQ+ resources and LGBTQ+ materials available for check out. The library encourages every patron to celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning (and more) lives and experiences by attending a library event, picking up a book (or eBook), listening to an eAudiobook or watching a DVD. Scroll down to learn more.
Sonoma County Library at the Sonoma County Pride festival in Santa Rosa on June 1. From left, Library staff members Kim Dargeou, Rachel Icaza and Terra Emerson.
PRIDE BOOK CLUB FOR TEENS:
Come discuss the latest queer YA books with other teens! This month we will be reading “Queer, There, and Everywhere” by Sarah Prager. Pick up a copy of the book at the Adult Reference Desk at the Rohnert Park-Cotati Regional Library. Note that this book club meets monthly.
Each branch of the Sonoma County Library has a unique display to highlight and recognize the lives and literature that we are celebrating this June!
- LGBTQ+ Resource Guide - This limited resource list provides perspectives on LGBTQI rights, history, experiences, relationships, and culture.
- LGBTQ+ Materials List - The materials on this list offer people of all ages opportunities to dig deeper into the topic of LGBTQI from LGBTQI history and rights to understanding the LGBTQI experience, relationships and culture.
- LGBTQ Connection - Napa & Sonoma: LGBTQ Connection, an initiative fueled by youth and other emerging leadership, fosters a healthier, more vibrantly diverse and inclusive community.
- LGBTQ+ Youth & Young Adult Support Groups (Positive Images)
- LGBTQ+ Adult Support Groups (Positive Images)
- Hotlines (Positive Images)
- The Trevor Project 24/7 Lifeline - (TEENS) The Trevor Project offers the largest safe social networking community for LGBTQ young people under 25, best practice suicide prevention educational trainings, resources for youth and adults, and advocacy initiatives.
Library Materials: Books for Children, Teens, Adults… and TV shows and Movies!
BOOKS FOR CHILDREN
- And Tango Makes Three (Picture book)
- Better Nate than Ever (Chapter book)
- The Flower Girl Wore Celery (Picture book)
- Hurricane Child (Chapter book)
- I Am Jazz (Picture book)
- Julián is a Mermaid (Picture book)
- Prince & Knight (Picture book)
- Red: A Crayon’s Story (Picture book)
- Sparkle Boy (Picture book)
- This Day in June (Picture book)
BOOKS FOR TEENS
- Birthday: A Novel
- Darius the Great is Not Okay
- Gender Queer: A Memoir
- Girl Made of Stars
- I Wish You All the Best
- Let's Talk About Love
- The Love and Lies of Rukhsana Ali
- The Music of What Happens
- Picture Us in the Light
- What If It's Us
BOOKS FOR ADULTS
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
- Less: A Novel
- Little Fish (eBook)
- Real Queer America: LGBT Stories from Red States
- River of Teeth (Audiobook)
- Speak No Evil: A Novel
- Tomorrow will be different: love, loss, and the fight for trans equality
- An Unkindness of Ghosts
- Willa & Hesper
MOVIES AND TV
- The L Word (TV)
- Orange is the New Black (TV)
- Blue is the Warmest Color (movie)
- But I’m a Cheerleader (movie)
- Carol (movie)
- How to Survive a Plague (movie)
- The Imitation Game (movie)
- Love, Simon (movie)
- Milk (movie)
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post (movie)
- Moonlight (movie)
- Pride (movie)
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU’RE NOT SEEING ON THIS LIST?
Ask one of our friendly librarians at your favorite branch of the Sonoma County Library. We are here for you!