Summer Lunch at the Library
Lunch at the Library brings together the Library’s longstanding summer reading tradition with a lunchtime meal, in an effort to combat summer learning loss and summer hunger.
In 2019, the Library is partnering with the Redwood Empire Food Bank, the California Library Association and the California Summer Meal Coalition, to host Lunch at the Library at eight library locations. The Library will distribute free meals to youth (ages 0-18) throughout the summer at the following libraries:
- Central Santa Rosa -- June 3 - August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm
- Cloverdale -- June 10-August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm (no service 7/3-5)
- Healdsburg -- June 10-August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm
- Northwest -- June 3-August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm
- Petaluma -- June 3 - August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm
- Rohnert Park -- June 10-August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:15-12:45 pm
- Sebastopol -- June 10-August 2, Monday-Friday between 12:15-1:00 pm
- Sonoma Valley -- June 10-August 9, Monday-Friday between 12:00-12:30 pm
Monday through Friday during the service dates in June, July, and August, anyone between the ages of 0-18 can eat a healthy lunch for free. Provided by program sponsor Redwood Empire Food Bank, these nutritional meals are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Links to the REFB menus for the different sites are below:
- Healdsburg June menu
- Santa Rosa City Schools June lunch menu for all cities south of Windsor
- Cloverdale summer lunch menu
Studies show that malnourishment can diminish a child’s overall learning potential. Of the Sonoma County children who are eligible for free lunches during the school year, just 1 in 10 has access to a similar program during the summer. Additionally, children who do not read over the summer lose an average of one month of academic progress. By middle school, those who have not read during summer breaks may have lost as much as two years’ worth of achievement.
No registration. Visit a participating site to enjoy a delicious lunch.
For more information or for other FREE lunch sites, call Redwood Empire Food Bank at 707.523.7900.