For many children this will be their first group experience. The following tips will help to make it a happy one:
- Participate! Please join in the activities and save interactions with other parents until after the program. Model the same behavior that you expect from your child.
- Minimize distractions. Plan to arrive early. Food and toys should be put away, and cell phones should be silenced before the program begins.
- Be prepared for bad days. If your child becomes very restless or uncooperative, please step outside the program space for a few moments to regroup.
- Bring it back home. Plan to check out books each week for your child to extend the story sharing experience at home.
- Relax, it is not expected that your child will sit still and participate in every activity.
- Ask for help. Our storytimes are geared for specific developmental levels (baby, toddler, preschool). Library staff is available to assist you in selecting which program is right for your child, to guide you in choosing appropriate books and materials, and to provide information about other library services.
- Visits from groups. Our weekly storytimes are designed for children and their parents. Arrangements for daycare, school or other group visits should be made in advance.