Adult Literacy Offices are Open Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 3 pm.
One-to-one tutoring is available anytime the library is open (10am-9pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, 10am-6pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 2pm-6pm on Sundays).
Sonoma County Library Adult Literacy Program provides one-to-one tutoring for English speaking adults who wish to improve their reading and writing skills. Our program is learner-centered – we work with the adult learner in accomplishing his/her goals.
The Adult Literacy one-to-one program is available system-wide at all branches. The Adult Literacy Office is located inside the Central Santa Rosa Library on the second floor.
Listen to testimonials from our patrons!
Services we offer
- Literacy Assessment
- Goal setting
- Tutor Matching
- Basic Reading and Writing - Students work individually with a tutor for a minimum of two hours per week.
- Family Literacy - Introduces reading as a family value to adult learners enrolled in our one-to-one tutor program with children 0-13 years old in their household. Expands family-based literacy instruction and access to quality, age-appropriate reading materials for members of the adult learner's household.
- Easy English materials in Resource Library
- Tutor training
- Instructional support in Resource Library
- Curriculum support
- Expert skills and resource training
- Ongoing tutor coaching and support
Small-Group Instruction - In-Library
- Let’s Talk: English Conversation Circles
- Adult Literacy Office - Central Santa Rosa Branch
- Northwest Regional Library: Mondays, 6:30pm to 8:00pm
- Digital Literacy Instruction
- Laptop instruction and practice
- Specialized software to use in house (phonics, etc.)
- In-house computer and/or tablet use
- Reach Your Goals Classes
- Small group instruction focused on specific Roles & Goals skills for adult learners who have completed literacy assessment.
Small Group Instruction - In Community
- Outreach Adult Basic Education and ESL Classes in Sonoma County Jails through Sheriff’s Department.
- Outreach ESL Classes at Graton Day Labor Center
- Outreach ESL Classes sited at local schools
- Burbank Elementary
- Target expansion to other sites in FY19
Writing & Publishing
- SCL Literacy Publications/Learner Writing Collections
- Easy English Times publications
- Referrals to other adult education resources in the community
- Transition assistance to continuing education