Due to COVID-19 concerns, we are currently unable to accept any donations.
NOT ACCEPTING DONATIONS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
The Friends of the Library is a non-profit volunteer organization incorporated in 1976 and dedicated to bringing the magic of books and enrichment programs to everyone by supporting our library.
Through the sale of used books and other media donated by the community, we provide funding for materials and programs not otherwise available through the library system.
The Friends organization, activities, and business are managed by its Board of Directors, currently including:
- President: Pam Novelly
- Secretary: Mary Jane Beccaria
- Treasurer: Janis Brokaw
- Volunteer Coordinator: Olwen Peterson
The Board meets monthly on the third Tuesday of the month at 3:00 pm in the Rohnert Park–Cotati Library conference room.
Friends of the Library contact information: 707-584-9121 Ext. 0940
The Friends’ primary fundraising activity is resale of donated new and used books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and other printed materials through our bookstore in the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library, and additional major book sales each year (generally in February, June. and September). Our all-volunteer effort processes over 100,000 books, magazines, CDs, and other materials each year.
The bookstore is located in the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library across from the circulation desk and is open every day that the library is open. If you have not discovered this well-stocked gem, you are in for a treat!
BOOKSTORE HOURS OF OPERATION:
Sunday & Monday: Closed
Tuesday: 12pm - 5pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 10am - 5pm
DONATIONS OF BOOKS
Please leave donations on the cart just outside the bookstore. A receipt can be provided for your tax records.
The Following Donations are Welcome:
- New and used books
- Children’s VHS tapes
- Magazines (less than 2 years old)
PLEASE DO NOT DONATE:
- Soiled, musty, smoky, or torn books
- Reader's Digest Condensed Books
- Encyclopedias more than 10 years old
- Law or medical textbooks
- School textbooks more than 10 years old (except history or math)
- Magazines more than 2 years old
- Computer books more than 6 years old
- Adult VHS tapes and records
INFORMATION FOR POTENTIAL VOLUNTEERS
Volunteer positions are staffed based on current need for volunteers, and volunteers’ expertise, experience, and availability for work. Some volunteer positions support our bookstore and back room sorting and storage area, and involve a weekly commitment during normal library hours (typically 2 to 3 hours per week). Other work is scheduled as needed to support our major book sales and other Friends’ activities.
The activities typically performed by Friends volunteers include:
Bookstore and back room processing (2 to 3 hours per week):
- Bookstore cashier (open and close bookstore, greet and help customers, handle cash sales)
- Process donated books in back room (receive donations, clean, price, sort, and shelve by category)
- Replenish and update books in bookstore (maintain most sellable books in the bookstore)
- Bookstore/backroom volunteer coordination, scheduling and administration.
- Some tasks require ability to bend, reach, and lift books, and push a loaded book cart.
Applications for volunteering in the bookstore and backroom processing are available in the bookstore. Your help is needed and much appreciated.
Volunteer tasks scheduled as-needed, and as volunteers are available:
- Volunteers with a pickup truck are needed periodically for book transportation to and from storage
- Support book sales by setting up the book sale room, moving boxes of books, setting up book displays for sale
- During book sales, work at the sales table or work on the floor to maintain and replenish book displays on tables
- General support tasks: membership/volunteer administration, edit newsletters, computer work, serve on the FOL Board, represent FOL at community meetings, etc.
To volunteer for work as-needed, please request your name to be added to our Volunteer Call List and indicate your area of interest as a volunteer. Volunteers will be notified prior to our major book sales (in February, June, and September), and can sign up for tasks as convenient.