Books at The History & Genealogy Library
Several thousand books on genealogy world-wide. The library has bibliographies of family histories and county histories. Indexes to censuses, marriage records, military pensions, land records, tax lists, and ship passenger lists are available on microfilm, microfiche, and CD-ROM.The books can also be searched by title, author, and subject in the main Library Catalog (you may use the searchbox on the left sidebar for basic keyword searches)
Periodicals at The History & Genealogy Library
Nearly 130 genealogy-related periodicals. See the Library Catalog for an alphabetical list of periodicals.
Sonoma County Records
Includes deeds, mortgages, wills and probate records, assessments of property, voter registration, oaths of office, surveys, maps, corporation records, business licenses and more. Most materials are stored at the Sonoma County Archives and must be brought from the Archives to the Library for your use. Call (707) 308-3212, with any questions, or to request materials. Please allow five business days for volumes to be delivered to the library.
Obituaries at the Annex
Selected index to Sonoma County obituaries from 1855-1912. You may send us an request for a copy of an obituary. Find more information about locating and requesting obituaries.
Census at the Annex
U.S. Census for California 1850 to 1920; Indexes for other states and Canada from 1790 on.
City Directories at the Annex
California city directories from 1850 on; Sonoma County Directories from 1874 on.
Core Subscription Research Databases
- HeritageQuest: Available at the History and Genealogy Library and all branches of the Sonoma County Library. You may also use it from home with your library card number. More information
- Ancestry: Available at the History and Genealogy Library and all branches of the Sonoma County Library. More information
- GenealogyBank -- History and Genealogy Library only: Find local news from small-town newspapers dating as far back as 1690. Research in local histories, military records, and other hard-to-find documentation of family history. More information
- San Francisco Chronicle 1865-1922 - History and Genealogy Library only: More information
- Newspapers.com: Digital archive of Petaluma Argus-Courier. Available at the History and Genealogy Library and all branches of the Sonoma County Library. More information
- The New York Times 1851-1922 - Available at the History and Genealogy Library and all branches of the Sonoma County Library.
No workshops scheduled at the moment.
Other Local Resources for Genealogy
Volunteers from the Sonoma County Genealogical Society (SCGS) offer help on an individual basis to beginning and advanced genealogists on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. in the Annex. Be sure to check the SCGS's Publications section of their website to see which titles, including indices to vital data and probate, court, and naturalization records, are available for purchase.
Genealogy Libraries and Archives
- Genealogy and Local History at the Newberry Library, Chicago, IL
- The Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library, Ft. Wayne, IN
- California State Library - Genealogy (California History Room, Sacramento)
- California State Library - Sutro Library, San Francisco (Located near SFSU. Click for directions)
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT
- NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) genealogy research
- NARA services for the public at its San Francisco/San Bruno facility
- National Archives of Canada
- Genealogy books at the Library of Congress