The Sonoma Valley Regional Library began as the Sonoma Free Public Library in 1903. A 1500 square foot Carnegie grant building was erected in the historic Sonoma Plaza in 1913. In 1948 the rural Sonoma county Library opened a branch in Boyes Hot Springs, and entered into an exchange of services contract with the Sonoma library. In 1969 the Sonoma library merged with the Santa Rosa-Sonoma County Free Public Library. A new 10,000 square foot building was opened in November of 1978 and was renovated for the 21st Century in 2011.