The Library provides access to state and federal tax forms, and allows free printing of up to 30 pages per day through Curbside Pickup. In 2021, we are not able to offer on-site tax help with trained Tax Aide volunteers.
Forms & Information
A limited quantity of the most popular tax forms are available at Sonoma County Library locations. Branches may not offer this service because of space limitations or because the forms have not been made available by the IRS or the State of California Franchise Tax Board. Please call your local branch to check availability.
Tax forms and information from federal and state agencies can be obtained online. Printouts of forms/instructions can be made by patrons on library computers. Charges for printing apply. Choose one of the following options and follow the instructions at each site to download forms:
Other Sources for Forms & Information:
- Tax forms by mail: (800) 338-0505 or email through this link.
- Tax information: (800) 852-5711
- Tax forms by mail: 800-829-3676
- Tax information: 800-829-1040, 800-829-4059 (TDD), 800-829-4477 (TeleTax)
- Tax form pick-up locations: 707-535-3859
- IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service: (510) 907-5269
Free Tax Help Across Sonoma County
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) Through United Way – Earn It! Keepit! $aveit! Program
Get your taxes prepared for FREE by certified preparers. Community tax sites open January through April. Schedule an appointment near you! For more information: United Way of the Wine Country EarnIt! KeepIt! $aveIt!
- Sonoma: Dial 2-1-1 or 800.325.9604
- Del Norte: Dial 707.464.3069 ext. 208
- Humboldt: Dial 2-1-1 or 707.441.1001
- Lake: Dial 707.467.3236
- Mendocino: Dial 707.467.3236
AARP FOUNDATION Tax Aide Program
The AARP Tax Aide program offers free tax help at sites around the county. Since 1968, this volunteer-based program has helped nearly 50 million low- to moderate-income taxpayers.
For the 2021 tax season, those in Sonoma County will have three options for free tax preparation through the Tax-Aide program:
- By email: Beginning February 1st. Email address(es) for starting this process will not be available until February 1st.
- Online: The Tax-Aide program offers free tax preparation software with no income limit, plus video and/or phone assistance from a certified AARP volunteer tax counselor. Starting in early February, you can request this Alternative Tax Preparation service, on the aarp.org website.
- Onsite: AARP expects to reopen as many as four regular sites in our Sonoma County in February. Reopening has been impacted by the IRS decision to delay the start of e-filing until February 12th.
- For the most up-to-date information, visit https://aarpca2.org/sonoma-napa/.
For more information on the AARP Tax Assistance Program, or to view additional locations, please click here.
File Taxes for Free
Earn $66,000 or less in 2020? You can file your taxes for free online! File both your state and federal taxes with www.MyFreeTaxes.com which is a partnership among United Way, Goodwill and Walmart.
Taxes & Accessibility
Hundreds of the most popular federal tax forms and publications are available for download from irs.gov for sight impaired individuals. These products range from talking tax forms to Braille formats, and are accessible using screen reading software, refreshable Braille displays and voice recognition software. Accessible Forms and Publications.
The IRS also offers customer service assistance for persons who are deaf or who have hearing disabilities. People with TTY equipment may call 800-829-4059, which is a toll-free number, for assistance.
People who are unable to complete their tax return because of a physical disability may get assistance from an IRS office, or through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) sponsored by IRS. Taxpayers can find a nearby location by calling 800-906-9887.
Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities, explains the tax implications of certain disability benefits and other issues, and is available at irs.gov.
To learn more, visit irs.gov and click on the word "accessibility."