Documents, books, photographs about the history of Petaluma
Staffed by trained volunteers
Main Local History & Genealogy page
Petaluma Regional Library page
Download a flyer about the History Room and Petaluma history
Also see our online resources for researching Petaluma history:
- Sonoma Heritage Collections
Albums of photographs, maps, postcards, and more from the collections of the Library, the Sonoma County Archives, and the Sonoma County Fair.
- Sonoma County Local History & Genealogy blog
Highlights of our collections of photographs and postcards, with historical notes.
- Guides to Archives
Research Petaluma history in the archives! Use these guides to locate
and identify Sonoma County Archives historical sources for your research.
Welcome to the Petaluma History Room
The Sonoma County Library welcomes you to the Petaluma History Room, where you will find books, manuscripts, historic photographs, newspapers, clippings, maps, city directories, yearbooks, City of Petaluma municipal records, and other materials that chronicle Petaluma’s past. Volunteer docents are available to assist you in a variety of ways, including:
- Exploring the fascinating history of Petaluma and the
- Getting you started with genealogical research
- Helping you trace the history of your house
- Training you to use online resources and databases
- Locating historic photographs
- Tuesday afternoons, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday evenings, 5:30 – 7:45 p.m.
- Thursday afternoons, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Hours subject to change. We suggest calling the Reference Desk at 763-9801 to verify the room is staffed, before making a trip to the History Room.
Inquire at the reference desk if you need materials when the room is not open.
Questions? Email the Petaluma History Room at: email@example.com
Collection Access Policy
Within the collection are items of cultural and historical significance.
Many of these books, clippings, photographs, and memorabilia are one of
a kind and in fragile condition. Therefore, prudence dictates that certain
restrictions be placed on their access, use, and care.
- When you wish to study or use the collections, you must turn in your Sonoma
County library card to be held while materials are being used. A temporary
library card will be provided for non-residents with proper identification.
- All items will be kept in Closed Stacks. Only librarians or History Room
docents may obtain the materials from the stacks.
- Ink pens of any kind are not permitted while using the materials. Notes
must be taken in pencil or by computer.
- For some items, persons handling the materials will be supplied with cotton
gloves in order to protect the objects.
- Unless material is being photocopied, it should be used only in the History
Room Study Area.
- Before photocopying material, check with the desk. Some items may have
restrictions on reproduction.
PETALUMA REGIONAL LIBRARY
100 Fairgrounds Drive, Petaluma CA