It’s all at the library!
A Sonoma County Library card is your free ticket to all the wonderful, resources we have to offer:
- Books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, games
- Digital resources too
Come into any branch to get your free library card or create a temporary eCard online.
Several types of library cards are available:
If you don't already have a library card, now is the time to get one!
Come to any Sonoma County Library location to sign up for a general library card. All applicants must be present to get a library card. Proof of address is not required.
For more information visit any Sonoma County Library branch in person. For more information.
Limited Use Cards are available for adults who live out of state and are just visiting Sonoma County, or for children/youth under 18 without the approval of a parent/guardian. These cards allow the user to borrow up to 4 items at a time and use other library resources. Adults need to provide a photo ID when applying for this card.
eCards are temporary cards that can be created online. eCards can be used for borrowing and using electronic resources. These cards automatically expire after 120 days. eCard users can convert their eCard to a general library card by visiting a library.
Educator Cards are available for teachers and other educators who work for institutions and facilities that educate or care for children in Sonoma County. Educator Cards are intended to benefit the students. Applicants must present a photo ID as well as one of the following documents to verify educator status:
- School ID badge
- Contract or letter confirming employment
- Pay information from educational institution
- Home school certificate
For more information: Educator Card
For full details, please see the library’s Library Cards and Borrowing Policy.
Adults are financially responsible for all materials borrowed via their library cards until the materials have been returned. Parents or guardians who provide a signature for minors are financially responsible for all materials borrowed on their minors’ general library cards until the materials have been returned.
A general library card allows the cardholder to:
- Check out materials from the library, up to 100 at a time!
- Request an item from another library
- Check out ebooks/e-audiobooks and other electronic resources
- Use library computers
- Use library databases and online research tools
- Access their library account online
- Check out Wifi hotspots
- Regional Parks Discovery Packs—a backpack containing a Regional Parks parking pass and other goodies to help them enjoy self-guided adventures in the parks.
- State Driver’s License or ID Card
- Green Card or Permanent Resident Card
- School-Issued ID
- Tribal ID
- Military ID
- Matrícula Consular ID
- Law Enforcement-Issued ID
- Other Government-Issued Photo ID
- Other Credible Photo ID, such as Bank Card, Credit Card, Check Cashing Card, Transit Card or Membership Card
- Other identification as approved by library staff in charge
Children/youth under age 18 need the approval of a parent or guardian. Library staff do not monitor or restrict minors’ use nor borrowing of Library materials, either inside or outside of a library.